Music Banter - View Single Post - What's The Latest Film You Have Seen?
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2012, 07:25 PM   #11310 (permalink)
jackhammer
Ba and Be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
It IS a comedy though, not the smack-you-over-the-head-with-it vein, more in the vein of a Coen Brothers or Jim Jarmusch movie (in fact, Jarmusch's frequent collaborator Robby Müller was the cinematographer for Repo Man). The "get sushi and not pay" line is a joke, you get that right? The movie is making fun of a character who is an idiot. It's funny because it's ridiculous, as is Duke's dying "society made me do it" monologue and a huge number of other absurd moments in the film. This whole movie is massive lampooning of everything from punk rock to 80s pop culture to the Weekly World News. Yet, on top of that, it's also this gorgeously constructed, oddly affecting piece of work. And it's incredibly re-watchable because of the amount of detail packed into it (the weird choice of cameos, the odd little details jammed into every frame). Just a suggestion, because I know from experience it's a grower: you really may want to consider watching it again some time.
I haven't seen Repo Man in years but it still remains on my list to buy. Classic film that just takes a few watches to get what it's all about. Ever seen Alex Cox's Straight To Hell? Shane MacGowan, Joe Strummer, Elvis Costello, Dennis Hopper, Jim Jarmusch and Grace Jones in one movie? Very odd take on a Western but it's a grower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exoskeletal View Post

Great English film trying to be a French film, and I mean that with no disrespect. The camera work was very good. The soundtrack was awesome, reminded me of Kubrick. Michael Gambon is a brilliant villain. The ending was brutal. Great film.

8.5/10
One of my favourite films. Peter Greenaway generally is far too arthouse and oblique for his own good (I have never made it past the first 30 mins of The Draughtman's Contract) yet this is absolutely sublime. Prospero's Books sails very close to being too much for me regarding Greenaway but it is visually stunning and is definitely worth at least one viewing.

“A cynic by experience, a romantic by inclination and now a hero by necessity.”
jackhammer is offline   Reply With Quote