Music Banter - View Single Post - Do you consider electronic music creators musicians?
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2012, 11:43 PM   #74 (permalink)
Dr_Rez
Registered Jimmy Rustler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebase Dali View Post
Seems to me the issue would lie with the person that's just pilfering samples. That shouldn't imply that the tool being used to do it is inherently a tool used by talentless hacks, and thus, is not an instrument capable of being utilized by talented musicians.

And, in many cases, it's not so "dumbed down" as you think. Here's something you may identify with... SessionDrummer in Sonar. You might look at it and say, "well, this could be used by talentless hacks that don't know how to play drums, in order to make a drum beat they could never play". Well, as a drummer, I'll tell you now that it is A LOT harder to program a full drum beat with sounds and nuances so that it sounds real (and good), than it is to just play one on a kit. The only reason I even do it is because I can't set up my drum kit in my apartment. Otherwise, I'd just record a real drum beat because it'd be a lot easier.

But I do know that it takes a level of musical ability and insight to even arrive at something approaching decent when you're emulating the real thing on software, and even if you're just making music on a computer in general. Regardless of whether you believe the person did it themselves or not is one thing, but I guarantee you that whoever did it was a musician, and the software they did it on was their instrument, and if it's so "dumbed down", I challenge you to become a virtuoso at it if you want to prove your point.
I think, in general, most of the people that don't credit the hard work and talent involved in computer music creation are usually the people who understand the least of what actually goes into doing it well.
I think you misunderstood me. I by no means am saying it is all dumbed down. If it was I wouldnt be asking you for help using things like session drummer. My point is however that I have seen some programs friends use they are basically hitting a button that matches pitch/tempo and just sticking songs together. Adding effects in without having any knowledge of a keyboard or anything.

And do not think for a second I am diminishing the kind of stuff I have heard you make for the competition thread and such. I couldn't do that in a million years, and I realize the amount of effort and know how it takes to do so.

Personally I like this kind of thing so that I can record a dummy drum track when putting together a song. That was the guitar and bass parts can be accurate and at a later time I can record a live drum kit over the electronic drums. I nkow alot of people doing home studio work do this. The problom is getting the drum timing to be remotely like I would actually play it.
*Shave one of my legs to pretend its a girl in my bed crew*
Dr_Rez is offline   Reply With Quote