Music Banter - View Single Post - Do you consider electronic music creators musicians?
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2012, 11:59 PM   #75 (permalink)
Freebase Dali
Partying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by RezZ View Post
I think you misunderstood me. I by no means am saying it is all dumbed down. If it was I wouldnt be asking you for help using things like session drummer. My point is however that I have seen some programs friends use they are basically hitting a button that matches pitch/tempo and just sticking songs together. Adding effects in without having any knowledge of a keyboard or anything.

And do not think for a second I am diminishing the kind of stuff I have heard you make for the competition thread and such. I couldn't do that in a million years, and I realize the amount of effort and know how it takes to do so.

Personally I like this kind of thing so that I can record a dummy drum track when putting together a song. That was the guitar and bass parts can be accurate and at a later time I can record a live drum kit over the electronic drums. I nkow alot of people doing home studio work do this. The problom is getting the drum timing to be remotely like I would actually play it.
Sorry if I misunderstood, and I wasn't being hostile anyway.
I know you weren't taking any stabs at me, and I wasn't really referring to my own work, but it's hard for me to not seem that way, I guess, because I do have a lot of experience on both sides of the aisle when it comes to traditional musicianship and computer-based musicianship.

That's why I tend to have a fairly adamant perspective about it. But I agree and think the distinction should be made between people who have a musical background and actually use the tools, whatever they may be, to good effect... and people who simply open a new Audacity project, throw a few loops in, add some reverb and call it a day.
It's not hard, though, to know those kind of people when you hear their music. I certainly don't have a problem recognizing when a computer-based composition is done by a musician, versus a clueless guy with good samples. The song itself will tell you everything you need to know, and I'm not even talking about the technical side of things as far as mixing and mastering, which would be more of a specialty, and not necessarily a musician trait.
But the quality of a composition is apparent when it's done by a talented musician. It's that simple.

By the way, the program your friends use that you were talking about, that sounds like a virtual DJ program, which is something completely different from music composition. I could be wrong, but that's what it sounds like.
Freebase Dali is offline   Reply With Quote