Music Banter - View Single Post - MB GENERAL ALBUM CLUB: Pg.Lost - Key
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2012, 03:58 AM   #499 (permalink)
Euronomus
Dibs on the killing sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
You know, the negative response from all the club members really prompts me to ask: Why is this considered an indie classic? What business does it have ranking among the greatest records of its genre and year?
I think the answer to this is that deep down most indie/hipster types view music as an extension of fashion and generally don't care about music as art/something to be listened to intently. I feel like most "real" music fans judge by actually listening to the music and making their decision on it alone, whereas most of the pitchfork crowd are just as fickle as teenage girls and judge everything based on what has the most press from the "right" places. When that is how music is judged you end up with some bands who really don't deserve it getting celebrated. Of course I'm making a generalization, I myself kind of fit the hipster mold- I'm totally that guy who listen's to a bunch of bands "you've probably never heard of"(as I'm sure most of you are too), and I'll admit to reading pitchfork from time to time as well-but I find 90% of the music they post about to be insufferable.

Last edited by Euronomus; 03-12-2012 at 04:09 AM.
Euronomus is offline   Reply With Quote