Music Banter - View Single Post - The Playlist of Life --- Trollheart's resurrected Journal
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2012, 05:20 AM   #1006 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
Wow that looks good with the NWOBHM section, what I'll do is do both and that is to continue page by page and also skip to page 32 and comment on the NWOBHM at the same time.

I've just seen on page 5-6 that you're looking at similiar proggy 1980s bands to Marillion, bands such as Pendragon, IQ, Pallas and Twelfth Night. I was listening to these bands around 15 years ago and have kind of forgotten them apart from Marillion of course. What would you say were the essential 5 or 6 albums of these bands in the 1980s? As I'm thinking on re-listening to these bands but just need a selection of their best material.
Ok well to be honest IQ I never got into despite trying really hard. Spock's Beard I'm still working on, but getting there... Pallas the only one of theirs I have is "Arrive alive", which is great apart from the title/opening track. Twelfth Night I'd have to say "Fact and fiction" (reviewed earlier) though the live album "Live and let live" has the excellent "Sequences" on it.

Pendragon are a whole different matter. The first of their albums I listened to was "Believe", after which I went for their back catalogue, and put it on a rotating playlist, so hard to say which of their albums, other than "Believe", I would recommend, but put it this way: I have yet to hear a bad Pendragon track!

I'd also recommend Arena, particularly "Contagion", "Immortal?" and "Pepper's ghost", the latter if you're into the more heavy prog, as well as Jadis, particularly "Fanatic", though these are more 90s than 80s. Oh, and don't forget Mostly Autumn...