Music Banter - View Single Post - Do you consider electronic music creators musicians?
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2012, 11:09 AM   #78 (permalink)
GuitarBizarre
D-D-D-D-D-DROP THE BASS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr dave View Post
Agreed, and I don't think we as a group are that far off so much as I'm not expressing myself smoothly in my initial comments. Though my comments seem to generate a fair amount of feedback hehehe

You even reiterate the main thing I'm getting at in another post when you mention the difference between someone who knows what they're doing and some chump just slapping samples and default effects on a track. I recall the Chemical Brothers defending themselves on tv in regards to knowing how and when to twiddle knobs effectively and they expressed the same thing. There's a HUGE difference between an actual musician who's learned their instrument and how to exploit it to its fullest potential and some geek with a pirated version of cubase and canned beats.

The computer makes it easy for anyone to make music, it's still very hard to make good music.

I think my visual example was misconstrued here. I never meant to imply photography wasn't a valid or respected medium. I'm a huge fan of complex photos specifically like the Dali image posted on the previous page (and call Pink Floyd's Ummagumma cover as the best album art ever for the same reason).

My point with photoshop is the trivialization of the artistic process for the masses. You guys all say it yourselves, there's a huge difference and distinction between someone with a creative mind and an artist's eye using those tools to meet their artistic ends as opposed to some shmuck just running the red-eye remover plugin and cranking up the lens flare filter.
Actually, I would argue there isn't.

Its an artistic process being performed with an artistic tool. The difficulty of that process shouldn't be a factor in defining what it IS, only in defining (According to entirely subjective and personal value systems), what it is WORTH.

In other words, trivial or not, it is what it is. A 4 chord song is trivial compared to a Mozart Symphony, but they're both music and they're both artistic. What they aren't is OF EQUIVALENT WORTH. And even THAT is a subjective statement, there are plenty of people who would disagree with it, saying they're the same worth because they enjoy both. There are probably MORE people who would say the opposite, that the Mozart is worth less because its less approachable.

But they're both still the same thing, to varying degrees.
GuitarBizarre is offline   Reply With Quote