Music Banter - View Single Post - Preferred Music Style Is Tied to Personality
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2012, 08:12 AM   #18 (permalink)
mr dave
nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyrada View Post
I had a hard time believing words like "the relationship between pop music culture and deviant behavior in adolescence" weren't written in the 50's until I looked at the date in the citation. Holy wow, call me biased for being part of "the youth", but that is an incredibly surefire way to make yourself sound out of touch if you ask me. I mean, deviant behavior? Really? They had to use those exact words?
I think they mean 'deviant' behaviour as a deviance from the perceived norm as opposed to 'deviant behaviour' as being a poop fetishist or something. Basically, generally speaking, pop music is about adolescent rebellion, about, well... deviating from the norm, to step aside from what the generation before you considered to be their voice within the realm of mainstream media and to find and support your own.

Hell at this point in the game it has become the norm for teenagers to participate in deviant behaviour. Individuality is the new conformity. As a teenager you're expected to rebel and adopt some sort of deviant behaviour as a way of distancing yourself from the generations that came before you and applying your own unique twist to the collective stream of consciousness of our society, we just make sure to fool you into thinking you're doing it because you're unique instead of actually just toeing the line and adhering to the status quo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote