Music Banter - View Single Post - Preferred Music Style Is Tied to Personality
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2012, 08:24 AM   #19 (permalink)
Zyrada
Avant-Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr dave View Post
I think they mean 'deviant' behaviour as a deviance from the perceived norm as opposed to 'deviant behaviour' as being a poop fetishist or something. Basically, generally speaking, pop music is about adolescent rebellion, about, well... deviating from the norm, to step aside from what the generation before you considered to be their voice within the realm of mainstream media and to find and support your own.

Hell at this point in the game it has become the norm for teenagers to participate in deviant behaviour. Individuality is the new conformity. As a teenager you're expected to rebel and adopt some sort of deviant behaviour as a way of distancing yourself from the generations that came before you and applying your own unique twist to the collective stream of consciousness of our society, we just make sure to fool you into thinking you're doing it because you're unique instead of actually just toeing the line and adhering to the status quo.
That's pretty much what I thought they meant. It just sounded like a preface to talk about "those hooligans on my lawn".

I'll give them credit for painting metal fans a little more sympathetically, I guess, but the study doesn't have an ounce of scientific value as far as I'm concerned.
Zyrada is offline   Reply With Quote