Music Banter - View Single Post - The Playlist of Life --- Trollheart's resurrected Journal
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2012, 10:40 AM   #1012 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

The man from Ballyshannon

We're keeping reviews of albums by him back for one of our big sections later in the year, but we would be remiss on this Irish Week if we did not include some examples of the fine work of the late Rory Gallagher.

Something from his excellent album “Top priority”, this is one of his many classics, “Follow me”.

All the way back to 1971 now, for a real blues boogie, this is “In your town”.

From one of his last albums, 1987's “Defender”, the opening track, “Kickback City”.

The first Rory album I heard was “Against the grain”. Have to admit that when I listened to it first I wasn't that impressed by it, though now I can see how special it is. This is one of my favourite tracks from it, one called “Out on the western plain”.

Two years back now, to 1973, the album “Tattoo”, and a great track that became a classic and a live favourite, it's “A million miles away”.

But of course what Rory did best was live work, and here he is with one of his standards, “Moonchild”.

And the excellent “Shinkicker”

One from maybe one of his weaker albums, in my opinion, “Jinx”, this is “Bourbon”.

From Rory's last ever album, “Fresh evidence”, a great track called “Ghost blues”.

Yeah, I could play Rory all day, but as I say I will be delving much deeper into his music in a special in the not-too-very-distant future. For now I'd like to close with one of my all-time favourites of his, it's a slower number but I really like it. From “Photo finish”, this is “Overnight bag.”