Music Banter - View Single Post - Who deserves the title "The King of Rock and Roll"?
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2012, 05:49 PM   #247 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BastardofYoung View Post
Chuck Berry, no contest.

Elvis was another image over art person. Somebody who was no more than a glorified cover artist. While his legacy is his looks and personality and also the fact he was a rebel in his time. But beyond that, he was nothing all that special.

Chuck Berry no matter what anybody says will always be the true king of rock n roll.
Elvis' image - to the ladies - was art.

I think Elvis and Chuck Berry were two sides of the same coin. To me they have equal importance even though they represent different things. Elvis, a vocal singer, who did cover songs, Chuck a guitar player who wrote his own songs. Since they came first they are like are archetypes, you can always notice some artist/bands are cover bands other write their own material (and everything in between) so that all goes back to them.

I don't know many who are like Elvis could sing as strong as he did, had as many hits and and still fall under the category of Rock. That's all split up now, Rock still have strong vocalists but its the Pop artist that gets the hits. E.g. whether or not you like Led Zeppelin Robert Plant was considered to be one of the best in Rock and Roll (circa 1970's) but they didn't rack up the hits on the charts.

Chuck Berry did it all (or most of it) he wrote, sang and played guitar. In most Rock bands those duties (quite often) are split - they have a singer and guitar player(s). Even though his career started in the 50's his guitar playing was more advanced than some guitar players in the 60's and he was very influential to guitar players that emerged in the 70s.

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote