Music Banter - View Single Post - What's The Latest Film You Have Seen?
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2012, 11:08 AM   #11339 (permalink)
LoathsomePete
Cardboard Box Realtor

C.H.U.D. (1984)

First off I'm going to say that this isn't a great movie. The costumes are pretty noticeably bad, the acting isn't really great, and the story is kind of dumb. All that said though, I will say that this is one of my favourite horror movies of the 1980's because of the underlying message behind it, chiefly the complete neglect of the homeless and urban decay in the 1980's in part to "Silent Majority" winning back control of the pop cultural steering wheel. It really is a film that could have only been made during the Reagan years, and coincidentally, it shares a somewhat similar story with another 1984 movie, The Toxic Avenger, at least in the sense that it involves the illegal dumping of toxic waste by morally bankrupt bureaucrats hiding within the system and behind normalcy.

C.H.U.D. (1984) has earned my respect by actually trying to be about something. Candyman (1992) is another, it manages to tell a good story but also includes the plight of people living in ghettos and the racism and indifference that still exists and is still the status quo. It's kind of sad how whenever a ghetto is used as the setting in a horror movie now it's less about making people aware of the state we've allowed our cities to devolve into and more about showing a scene where the killer takes a bong hit (I'm looking at you Leprechaun: In the Hood (2000).)
LoathsomePete is offline   Reply With Quote