Music Banter - View Single Post - Dark Humor and Shock Comedy – How far is too far?
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2012, 11:18 PM   #33 (permalink)
anticipation
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
Interesting, so not flaunting your nude body in front of your grandmother is the source of societal norms perpetrated by the government?
No. I see a difference between practical courtesy and superfluous courtesy. For instance; at one time it was "common courtesy" to open doors for women, pull their seats out, light their cigarettes for them, in short, live their lives for them. In the past it was unthinkable to drive past a stranded motorist with a flat tire without stopping to help them simply because it was "the right thing to do". While I have no qualms with these actions within their context I do however see a gap in the logic that supports the maintenance of old ideas. Not only are common courtesies in constant flux, they are victims of a value system that is so arbitrarily placed in our minds despite any grounding in reality. At least my reality. There are those who may claim that "common courtesies" are timeless; that respecting the sensibilities of others is something that should be always undertaken but in all honesty it doesn't make a bit of difference whether you tell your boss to go **** himself or that you think his toupe looks nice... Life will go on regardless of what you say and do. Moving forward is a mark of progression, keeping hold of ideologies based on the way you'd like things to be instead of the way they actually are is in my opinion stagnation.

Practical courtesies, like opening the door for someone who is carrying 50+ lbs. of produce, or holding the door open for someone with a disability, is common sense to me because I recognize the symbiosis of human life. I'm not afraid to tell anyone what I think but only if I think it will have a purpose. I don't go spouting off about how I hate X people because Y and Z, but not because I'm respecting their sensibilities. It's because I have no purpose in telling a group of strangers my feelings towards them. It gets me nowhere.
anticipation is offline   Reply With Quote