Music Banter - View Single Post - Dark Humor and Shock Comedy – How far is too far?
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2012, 12:10 AM   #34 (permalink)
Mrd00d
Stoned and Jammin' Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoathsomePete View Post
One of the key differences that makes death a more accepted subject of dark humour is that it is an event that everyone will experience. Nobody is immune to it, and while it make come sooner for some who don't deserve it, and longer for others that do, in the end everyone will die. That universal fact makes it something that we will all think about at one point or another in our lives as is something we have to come to terms with.

I would say that subjects like rape, abuse, and genocide fall more in lines of what Frownland said about shock humour, or saying something that is so shocking that you laugh, not because you think it's genuinely funny, but to help assuage the awkwardness of the subject matter. Dead baby jokes are a perfect example of this. Not clever in any real sense or even witty, just take some horrible act and inflict it on something we are hardwired to protect and nurture.
I tell ya, the first time I heard "What's the difference between pizza and a baby? I don't fark the pizza before I eat it" I laughed so hard. I told my friend and he had zero reaction and another I told laughed hysterically goin "so wrong, so wrong" but laughing nevertheless. I feel like I'm beyond that kind of humor, but when I think about even that joke I still grin like an idiot. Maybe it's nostalgia of being a teenager. I dunno. I do know I am extremely desensitized to violence and the realm of dark humor...

Mrd00d is offline   Reply With Quote