Music Banter - View Single Post - The Playlist of Life --- Trollheart's resurrected Journal
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2012, 07:43 AM   #1048 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Ah, I'm a little depressed. Nothing to blow away the blues like laughing at someone else's misfortune though, is there? And when we think of that, where do we automatically turn here? Yes, that's right: it's time to once again descend the slippery steps into Eurovision Hell! Bwa hahaha! Today we're looking north, to the cold icy lands of Scandinavia, where you'd have to wonder how these girls keep warm!

Seriously, the only good thing about Finland's 1994 entry was the two singers, who look very pretty but aren't anything special. The dancers are really annoying and distracting --- what is that guy up to at 1:32? --- and in fact their routine reminds me of the dance Rimmer and Lister did for “Tongue tied” (only Red Dwarf fans will get that reference). The song itself seems not to be able to make up its mind whether it's a pop, hip-hop number, a ballad or a big orchestral thing, but turns out to be fairly generic pop pap. The fact that the chorus (such as it is) is in English while the rest is in Finnish is just silly.

The group, whom I guess to include the dancers as they're in the pre-song promo, are called CatCat --- which is not a bad name --- and the girls look well even if they're not the world's greatest singers, but really, what is the deal with those long coats? Makes no sense.

Which just about sums up the Eurovision I guess. Oh yeah, this was the year we won. Again. This is transmitted from Ireland, as we had also won the previous year, and the year before that. This would be our third, and thankfully last, for a while. It's a great feeling, no doubt, to win, but victory just places extra financial strain on the country that has to host the next year's competition, so I'm sure many Irish heads were shaking, the initial euphoria at winning having by now long worn off, and I think we were just hoping we wouldn't be saddled with the huge cost of hosting the show again. Fat chance. Still, at least we showed we could put on an event to rival any of the bigger countries! Go Ireland!

Just, don't win again, ok? (Flash forward to 1996 --- D'oh!)

1994 --- Finland --- “Bye bye baby” by CatCat