Music Banter - View Single Post - Music Theory - Ask anything to receive answers
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2012, 12:55 PM   #33 (permalink)
venjacques
Groupie

Blastingas10 -
It sounds like you're now talking about learning the building blocks of music. You'll have to start with the basics then. I'm not sure if you know what makes a chord major and what makes a chord minor. There are some series about this, and they may be a good start (workbooks and all so you can actually make your own, rather than just read about it).

There's an 11-book series I teach from, called the Basics of Keyboard Theory by Julie McIntosh Johnson. I do NOT recommend these. A large portion exercises are rather pointless, the explanations on how to do things are very confusing and/or wrong, and the books are littered with typos.

In hopes for a better book, I made mine. You can find it via my website. It assumes you know nothing about music, so it might be too basic for you. It's a first level book and will teach you how to make any major / minor chord, how basic key signatures work, terms in traditional music, rhythm notation, and scales and how they function. It's filled with exercises that work, and I've had positive reviews.

When I was learning theory in college, we used a text book / workbook series called Tonal Harmony by Stefan Kostka and Dorothy Payne. This series is nice too, and then would give you just one book that teaches quite a bit, but may be hard to grasp. The good news is, you have a place to post questions if you're ever in doubt.

---------------------------------

Scarv-
A heavier accent is called a sforzando.

Last edited by venjacques; 03-20-2012 at 07:07 PM.
venjacques is offline   Reply With Quote