Music Banter - View Single Post - Dark Humor and Shock Comedy – How far is too far?
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2012, 01:00 PM   #47 (permalink)
iluvwubs
Groupie

I don't think there is a line at which any joke, if it is purely a joke, becomes morally disgusting. I think there is a very relative line at which such jokes become distasteful and/or offensive. I personally have joked about everything from the death of madeleine mccann, to rape and murder. However, i try to be selective about my audience. For the same reasons those jokes may really bother, or even disturb someone else, there are jokes that would deeply offend me. While i don't believe a joke in and of itself is morally disgusting, i believe telling certain jokes to people, whom you know will have an adverse reaction, is morally wrong.

Would you go up to a veteran with ptsd and tell him a joke about some people getting blown to pieces by an IED in afghanistan? In my eyes, that would be morally wrong. Just like a veteran may suffer from ptsd due to the things they have experienced in war, a woman who has been raped is very likely to have ptsd as well, and telling a rape joke to a woman who has ptsd for that reason will have a very adverse emotional impact.

I'm sure there are more current statistics, but a survey conducted in 1998 by the National Institute of Justice & Centers for Disease Control & Prevention showed that 1 out of every 6 women in America had been the victim of an attempted or completed rape in her lifetime. So, taking that into consideration, if you were to make a joke about rape in an environment where such jokes weren't to be expected there is a very strong possibility that you're telling it to a woman who has been raped. just my two cents.

Last edited by iluvwubs; 03-20-2012 at 01:03 PM. Reason: grammar
iluvwubs is offline   Reply With Quote