Music Banter - View Single Post - Music Theory Thread?
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2012, 06:33 AM   #35 (permalink)
venjacques
Groupie

Huh. I can't picture knowing theory without being able to read it. To me they're the same thing. But I guess you could verbalize Major/minor without knowing what it looks like on paper, but rather what it feels like in your hands when you play. Strange concept.

I agree with you there, then. Knowledge of theory and how to apply it is more important than being able to read it on paper. I just think writing things down make it easier to record, use, and share. But then I'm a pretty visual learner, so that could be a biased statement. I've done so much visual / handwritten theory that I can do it in my head. Everything from naming chords' and scales' notes, calling up terms, and so on have become second nature to me. I don't have to consult an instrument; I just visualize. So I guess there's something to be said about not needing to have it on paper after all.

That being said, I'm thinking the ideal musician would be able to read and write, as well as be able to think about it just mentally, and still further being able to use his/her ear to extract information accurately and quickly. Imagine if you had these 'super powers' as they were. You would be unstoppable. Then your only limit would be how good your fingers are in picking up new instruments.