Music Banter - View Single Post - Race and intelligence
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2012, 10:37 PM   #26 (permalink)
midnight rain
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUИEZ View Post
I rest my case right here. Saying that people are better/worse or smarter/dumber based on height or weight or color is the most asinine thing I have heard lately.
Phew. It's a good thing I didn't say that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
I'm not telling you it's wrong, I'm just asking for a clear definition. You do understand that even your beloved dictionary.com offers several definitions, right? It would be helpful to know which one you are going by.
This one I suppose most fits with my view:
Quote:
Anthropology .
a.
any of the traditional divisions of humankind, the commonest being the caucasian, Mongoloid, and Negro, characterized by supposedly distinctive and universal physical characteristics: no longer in technical use.
b.
an arbitrary classification of modern humans, sometimes, especially formerly, based on any or a combination of various physical characteristics, as skin color, facial form, or eye shape, and now frequently based on such genetic markers as blood groups.
c.
a human population partially isolated reproductively from other populations, whose members share a greater degree of physical and genetic similarity with one another than with other humans.

Quote:
How so? Again, keep in mind that the neanderthal skull isn't necessarily the middle of the story here.
No I agree it's not. The neanderthal skull is just in that picture, I wasn't saying the transition. But clearly you can see the human skull is more neotenous than the homo erectus, it's form of evolution away from the homo erectus species.

[/quote]Right. How does that square with what you're saying about neoteny?[/QUOTE]
It doesn't really apply I think. The meaning of neoteny is the retention of child-like features in an adult. Could you stop beating around the bush and come out and tell me what you're getting at.
midnight rain is offline   Reply With Quote