Music Banter - View Single Post - Tabletop Roleplaying Games and Board Games
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2012, 10:01 AM   #10 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

We had our own tabletop games club back in the days. We used to meet friday evenings/nights at a cafè where some of us worked and we sold pizza and coffee and people played all sorts of games like Roborally or Junta. There usually was some Warhammer going on on a pool table. Think I've mentioned this a couple of times before, but it's worth reminiscing about yet again. Most of the members were roleplayers and when we started up our club, we got some cash from the office of culture and we spent all that on tabletop RPG books. This is part why I've tried so many different games.

Regarding dice rolling, I generally feel like they get in the way of things as much as they help. I've sometimes played with DMs who required me to do charm rolls when speaking to people I didn't already know and I always thought it seemed a bit contrived or like a hurdle. I mean, my character's not particularly ugly or anything so can't we just play out a dialogue between ourselves and see if I say something rude?

I love Dungeons & Dragons, but the basic dungeon crawl feels too much like a computer game to me. You kill a large group of minions and then there's a boss at the end. I feel like by now, I've been on so many dungeon crawls, it just got old. If I game more D&D in the future, I'd rather have dungeons with few monsters that are more challenging (perhaps only "bosses"). As the fights are challenging, each characters abilities at combat are important, but you're less likely to spend all evening rolling dice. I could add that I've managed to run D&D campaigns without including a horrible amount of dungeons just fine.

Since I started reading Pratchett (mid-teens), I have to admit my D&D campaigns have been quite Discworldy to some degree I love that kind of humour in my settings. I've also always been a big fan of giving players freedom in regards to what they wanna do in combat etc. Like I wouldn't mind LoathsomePete coming up with some sort of cool move using boots of running. The point is to have a fun evening with your buds after all so what harm could it do?

edit :

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoathsomePete View Post
Besides that I've also tried Wraith: The Oblivion but found the mechanics far too complicated to work properly and the game did cause some hurt feelings between players messing with each other as their shadows.
Possibly my least favourite WoD game. It was just hard to get your head around in so many ways. The setting was completely confusing and vaguely described I thought. I think this has often been the case with the old WoD games (another example is Changeling and The Dreaming or Mage and the Digital Web). And the characters seemed naturally inclined to get a bit egotistical, for example worrying about the state of their fetters etc. so it didn't seem easy/natural for a bunch of ghosts to really pull together as a group either. Each character comes with a lot of baggage. At least, that's how I remember it. Better as a resource for other games, I thought!

edit : You mention the Shadow system .. definetly could also make things a little difficult

Last edited by Guybrush; 03-22-2012 at 10:13 AM.
Guybrush is offline   Reply With Quote