Music Banter - View Single Post - Race and intelligence
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2012, 11:40 AM   #42 (permalink)
hip hop bunny hop
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
The "Bell Curve" which he also linked has been scrutinized to no end as well. I'm sure most people are aware of that but I thought I'd mention it anyway
Actually, I linked to the wikipedia article on Race & Intelligence. Regardless, I divide criticism of the Bell Curve into two categories: (1) those who reject the validity of race & iq, (2) those who believe they overstated the role of hereditary.

(1) is a critique that has some merit, but I can't help but feel they can't see the forest for the trees. Denying the validity of these categories does nothing to help poorly performing groups. Further, people seem to forget that one could both acknowledge that racial differences in IQ exist and believe the differences could be ameliorated. However, this would require acknowledging that the gaps would likely persist for generations, and would require us to question the costs of allowing mass immigration from low IQ groups.....

(2) is a critique which I can take more seriously, and we've a new study that just came out; link - I've been reading it here and there, but I'm not finished with it yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by These guys View Post
I think those numbers might reflect standard of education more than they do capacity for intelligence.
My point was we see races stratified by PISA scores, both within and outside the USA, along the same lines we see races stratified by IQ scores within the USA.