Music Banter - View Single Post - Tabletop Roleplaying Games and Board Games
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2012, 10:25 AM   #26 (permalink)
LoathsomePete
Cardboard Box Realtor

Finally finished by god awful Supernatural game last night, yes a game based on the CW TV show. Now you'd think the premise alone would stand up pretty well as something to base a game on, but the core book is less than 200-pages long and only gives you info on about 5-monsters which kind of just leaves you making the rest up as you go along. I really wish I chose to play Hunter: The Vigil instead, but with two brand new players, I wanted it to be something simple, so I could just sit them down to an episode or two and say "pretty much that". It would have also saved me time having to explain the new system and meant we could have started gaming a lot sooner. Sadly though, my slothful ways resulted in 6-months of pure storytelling agony.

The good thing about the game is that each gaming session could be an episode and you don't need an over arcing story for the entire game, with each session building up to this massive ending. If you needed time to figure out how to progress the story, you could write some "monster of the week" episode to help buy you so time. That's more or less what I did for a majority of the game, but I still found myself running thin on ideas because the book doesn't give you anything besides just retreds of the show. I started a story in the hopes that it would write itself, but instead it just kind of sat there, never gaining much intrigue or even giving them a reason to combat it. It's almost exactly like what's happening in the show now, introduce a major threat, then ignore it for two months while you attempt to somehow make sense of it all later down the line.
LoathsomePete is offline   Reply With Quote