Music Banter - View Single Post - Hugh Masekela
Thread: Hugh Masekela
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2012, 12:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Default Hugh Masekela

The first time I heard Hugh Masekela`s name was when Eric Burden sang the line, “Hugh Masekela`s music was black as night” on the Animals track, Monterey, written to celebrate the famous 1967 pop festival. And now thanks to the internet, anyone can listen to the performance that inspired EB`s comment :-

Hugh Masekela is a trumpeter with credentials to spare; he has played with Fela Kuti, championed the cause of Nelson Mandela, toured with Paul Simon and made about 40 albums in a variety of styles. Yesterday, for the first time, I heard the instrumental double, Home Is Where The Music Is which to my uneducated ears compares well to some of Miles Davis`s material. Nonetheless, according to the MB search engine Hugh Masekela has just three mentions in this forum, while Miles Davis is mentioned 424 times !

So, I thought it might be time to redress the balance. Why has MB paid so little attention to this worthy musician? I`m sure some people here are better aquainted with the guy`s work than I am, in which case I`d like to know; which are the Masekela albums to check out, and which are the ones to avoid ?

In the meantime, if you have 10 mins to spare, lose yourself in the slow beauty of this track from Home Is Where The Music Is :-