Music Banter - View Single Post - 5 Essentilal Britpop Albums?
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2012, 08:23 PM   #40 (permalink)
Screen13
Music Addict

Trying to step away from the obvious (Blur's Modern Life..., Oasis' Defiantly Maybe, Pulp's This Is Hardcore, Stone Roses S/T, Suede's S/T), here's an "5 More" list.

Charlatans - Between 10'th and 11'th - OK, maybe not fully connected to "Britpop," but still mega in that time. Still, this under-rated second album remained the most interesting to me. This is the one with "Weirdo," "Chewing Gum Weekend," and plenty of other goodies. A favorite car tape way back in the day. Tellin' Stories is also another good album. Essential for: An artistically successful post-Madchester album that showed the growth of one of England's best bands of The 90's just when "Britpop" was starting to make a little wave here and there, although without the audience that made the debut and most of the ones that followed this a major hit.

The Las - S/T - Like The Stone Roses S/T, a landmark Debut album. They were ones that hinted at what was to come, but on a more "Traditional" style than the Roses' mix of style and Beat.

Suede - Dog Man Star - The very interesting album that those tired of the Parklife and Oasis got instead. "The Wild Ones" remains a classic to me. Honorable Essential Mention - Sci Fi Lullabies, the B-Sides collection. (Added On) I might direct others to the Singles collection for a full-on explanation of Suede's importance, especially with their first three albums, but Dog Man Star was the one that went into space when a lot of others were just hanging out at the bar.

Kenickie - Get In - Their final and far more interesting album. Slightly dark in places as well. It sounds like it's trying to achieve the greatness of This Is Hardcore, but it could not by a landslide, but it was still a very good try to break out of that limiting first album mode. Sadly, they had a quick rise and fall fast enough that only a few heard it. Essential for: another example of expanding the sound when the bar was closing down. (Added On) Hear this after This Is Hardcore.

Inspiral Carpets - Revenge of the Goldfish - Again, maybe not really connected to "Britpop," and kind of early to be a major part of it's height, but I seriously love their music. This was the one with "Two Worlds Collide," "Generations," "Dragging Me Down." I also liked Life and Devil Hopping as well, while The Beast Inside was dragged by a couple of non-event tracks (but still pretty good!). Some may vote for Life, but Revenge... is mine. (Added-On) A Best Of is seriously a great way to hear the band who once employed one Noel Gallagher as a roadie.

Last edited by Screen13; 07-22-2012 at 02:55 PM.
Screen13 is offline   Reply With Quote