Music Banter - View Single Post - Music Theory - Ask anything to receive answers
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2012, 08:40 PM   #46 (permalink)
Dr_Rez
Registered Jimmy Rustler

Quote:
Originally Posted by venjacques View Post
I have a few questions for Jazz theory -

When playing scales over chords, there are certain rights and wrongs.
What determines if a scale is 'legally' paired with chords?
If my chord changes (goes to the next chord in the progression), do I need a new scale, and therefor a new scale for each chord?
Is there an easy way to remember what scales go with which chords? Or is that just brute-force memorization?
Well you say that as if every scale has completely different notes. I mean typically chords within a progression are going to have quite a few similar notes making 1-2 scales applicable to the entire progression.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJones View Post
A good example of symetrical writing was in the Classic Rock days and the Rock n Roll days. I'm not saying these genres are bad, but the norm today is to REALLY get down and dirty with creativity. If you're interested in Electronic music, listen to Skrillex, he usually sticks to a main riff but has many attempts to stray off a bit and do his own thing.
Im sorry but thats a terrible comparison. Comparing symetrical writing between classic rock 3-5 piece bands of the 60-70s to skrillex??? Not to mention the playing of each's respective music is done in an entirely different way.
*Shave one of my legs to pretend its a girl in my bed crew*
Dr_Rez is offline   Reply With Quote