Music Banter - View Single Post - What are you reading right now?
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2012, 11:23 PM   #3980 (permalink)
NSW
Bigger and Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob. View Post
what did you think of the last book club book?
I personally loved it. I think everyone in the book club loved it for all kinds of reasons. Despite your warning, I went ahead and saw the movie, and now I wish I hadn't only because I can't help comparing the two when I think of the book. The only way I can describe it is to say the book was so...full. It was gripping, emotional. The quirkiness of the characters was intriguing, and obviously, so was the writing style and the format of the book. There were parts when it seemed like you could dive straight into what the character was feeling, like when Oskar said the unthinkable to his mom and you could feel her crushing disappointment and pain, or when the Grandfather was describing his regrets when he was "reading" his wife's life story, or so many other instances. Honestly, I thought it was beautiful. One of those books that gets to you even more after you've been thinking about it a day or two later. I can't wait to read more of Foer's work.

Whoever made the film did a poor job of translating all this to the big screen. The film seemed confusing, and lacked the charm and quirkiness of the book, especially when it came to the grandparents. I know it's hard to condense some books enough to make a film with the story, but in that case I'm pretty sure this is one book that would have been better left alone and in print only.