Music Banter - View Single Post - Welcome jayshreddz as our newest moderator!
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2012, 01:10 PM   #239 (permalink)
MoonlitSunshine
Dat's Der Bunny!

For the second time: There is more to the moderation of a forum than being involved in the community and helping its growth. It's great when you have a team which can both "moderate" and help the forum develop, but in my own experience of hiring mods (forum with 6 million posts, 100,000 registered users and 3,000 active users, and a three-tiered team of over 30 moderators, I know what I'm talking about), you can't always get people who have everything.

Satch has said it before, and I know other people have as well - the way mods are recruited on this forum is great, for one aspect of moderation. When it comes to dealing out the letter of the law, it IS harder to be just when you know the people involved. It DOES lead to a group where the "accepted" members of the community receive better treatment than outcasts/newbies. It's generally not intentional, but even the most just of people generate small bias over time.

So Jayshreddz didn't make the best of first impressions. I honestly couldn't care less under the circumstances. he has implied that his job here has nothing to do with what is considered here to be the standard moderating role. There is far, far more to the running of a forum than being well-liked, responsible and contributing. Noone here knows anything about him or his qualifications, so as far as I'm concerned he could be far more qualified for his particular role than any of the volunteer mods here.

Finally, this is presumably a source of income for the owners of the website. Presumably, they want someone they trust relatively involved in the moderating and the development of the site, in order to maximise profit. A random volunteer from the forum isn't going to necessarily have their best interests at heart.

- Arthur Dent
MoonlitSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote