Music Banter - View Single Post - Welcome jayshreddz as our newest moderator!
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2012, 01:19 PM   #242 (permalink)
Salami
Get in ma belly

I feel that it's worth adding this:

In his introduction thread, I felt like the conversation was going very awkwardly, so I felt like passing a remark about my failure to understand general scorn for country - nothing inflammatory, just something to talk about:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salami View Post
I understand people might not like banjos or certain other instruments such as fiddles that get used a lot, but I still don't get the general unpopularity.
If you're looking for virtuosity, then people such as Chris Thile are among the most talented musicians alive, if you've looking for good songwriting then there are some fantastic artists, particularly the older acts which are incredible.
His reply was the following:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayshreddz View Post
its probably because country sucks. you have to listen to it to truly understand how much it sucks.
This has been picked up on by a few other members - and it's certainly an attitude I'm personally uncomfortable with. I listen to a lot of country and I think I made it fairly obvious. Yet the blanket dismissal of it and saying I didn't know enough to "truly understand" why the music I love "sucks".

Anyway, that itself is really only a minor concern with the way he treats different viewpoints - my next quote is entirely more worrying to me:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayshreddz View Post
what does it take to be a mod here? because i have an idea of where i could merge this [refers to a Classic Rock suggestions thread]. it is in the archive. right above the forum about country, which i completely agree with whoever put it there.
This statement shows clear intent to sideline and ignore what he doesn't like - and I for one think that if he in any way interfered this much with the running of the forum, it would have disastrous consequences.
It's hard to elaborate on this point without falling into the "slippery slope" trap, but I think that if he is really going to be actively involved in the site admin, he really ought not to be permitted to make decisions which effect the rest of as much as this.

I respect that he's entitled to his own opinion, even on how little respect he has for what music we like, but please don't let this manifest itself in him archiving sections we like, closing thread on bands he doesn't approve of or even banning contributing members he doesn't feel are being nice enough to him.

I do agree entirely with what Unknown Soldier said about the fact that he's not been long enough for us to know anything about him, but there is conversely a real danger of giving such authority to someone who knows nothing about the way this forum works.
Salami is offline   Reply With Quote