Music Banter - View Single Post - My guitar dilemma.
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2012, 07:53 AM   #5 (permalink)
mr dave
nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastingas10 View Post
But I guess what I'm saying is, It would be helpful to know how to form a chord progression, what chords sound good together, What scales go good with certain chords. I tend to have trouble with my strumming patterns. Sometimes I tend to use the same strumming pattern on each chord of the progression. That gets really boring. I tend to struggle with chord progressions in general. My lead guitar playIng is better than my rhythm.
Those are all very valid concerns from a compositional standpoint. I guess it also depends on what style of music you're trying to create. I can't imagine someone writing a furious 3 chord punk rock tune stressing over playing the riff with a Asus2 or an A7 or just a regular Amajor. Don't think I'm dismissing your concerns with this suggestion either but, those cheesy looking guitar chord and scale posters like this - Amazon.com: Guitar Scales Poster: 22 inch. x 34 inch. (9780634060892): Hal Leonard Corp.: Books - are actually jam packed with the knowledge you're looking for, and presented in a much more streamlined way than those '... for dummies' self-teaching books. Being in poster form it's also way easier to slap them up on the wall so you can easily absorb the knowledge or find that next chord or note without having to put your instrument down (there's a 3 pack for chords, scales, and theory respectively if you scroll down that Amazon page a little).

Funky syncopated strumming patterns have actually been one of the more challenging techniques I've noticed with other players. It's all about practice and feel. Do you play drums at all? It sounds odd but there's a bit of a percussive role in your strumming hand that parallels keeping a beat (especially on hand drums).

Speaking of your lead playing being superior to your rhythm (assuming you mean you're better at single note noodling than chords) have you ever considered bass? There's no need to abandon one for the other but as the scope of your experiences expands the depth of your technique and ability increases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote