Music Banter - View Single Post - The Playlist of Life --- Trollheart's resurrected Journal
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2012, 05:12 AM   #1093 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
Page 10/11

I See you like Jadis and have been meaning to listen to them again. I also like the sound of Silent Edge, Narnia and Glass Tiger!!! Thanks for reminding me about Glass Tiger, had long forgotten about them and want to listen to them again.
Yeah, there's just something about Jadis, I don't know what it is, but I love their sound. They don't seem to have released anything recently though, which is a pity. Silent Edge you have to listen to! One of the most overlooked and basically ignored prog metal bands, they only seem to have had the one release, but man is it close to perfect! Just amazing how a band like this can slip by under the radar!

Glass Tiger I got into on hearing the single "Don't forget me when I'm gone" and assuming it to be Bryan Adams. I was actually looking for the album that's on, "The thin red line", but no-one seemed to have it. Later on I found "Diamond sun" and decided to give it a go. Glad I did! Another band who seem to have faded away sadly.
Quote:
Tygers of Pan Tang- Spellbound is one of my favs from the NWOBHM (thanks to John Deverill and John Sykes who were missing from the debut) and it had the perfect marriage of the elements that made up the TOPT sound. The debut though, is I supppose a basic one trick pony which is let down by poor instrumentals and Jess Cox's poor singing. I really don't feel it was worth your time and effort to review it.
Well, you can go on about any of their albums but I'll always love "Wild cat". Just the sheer energy, enthusiasm and raw power of it. I was devastated when the sound changed so radically after that album, and it remains one of my favourite metal albums of the 80s.
Quote:
Tiamat- I love your taste more and more, I used to go on about this band on the forum and it largely went unnoticed, on Wildhoney and A Deeper Kind of Slumber they really pushed metal boundaries and when the band moved out of metal territory proper, they still kept their style and Judas Christ is a great album, despite it getting a terrible review.
You don't mean my review, do you? I think I gave it a fair review; in fact, I think I said it was really great, which it is. Mind you, I didn't know any Tiamat before that, and have listened to little since. Must sort that out. Very impressed with that album though.
Quote:
ZZ Top- Eliminator the album where the bearded ones embraced AOR and added synths and boy did they do it well, this album is so polished and as you said thooooose videos full of slick cars and those chicks in mini skirts Most people on the forum are probably too young to know just how hip ZZ Top were at this time. Not many bands could transform themselves as well as ZZ Top did at that time, from a boogie blues outfit into a slick sounding AOR outfit.
Ah, ZZ! A band who successfully linked long legs and mini skirts with risque songs and beards! There's no-one on Earth like them, is there?
Quote:
Noticed you reviewd Berlin, I used to have that album too.
Yeah, it's a great album, another one I bought on the strength of the hit single and hoped it would be good. And was.

Ric Ocasek- Quick Change World and Negative Theater what a muddle with those two! I wished it could have been released how Ric wanted it to be released and we may have salvaged something there.
Quote:
Now Troubalizing is one of the great Ric Ocasek releases and even better than Fireball Zone. You can see Ric Ocasek really went for broke on here and really made the effort. The album is guitar heavier than some of the previous stuff and Billy Corgan's input has helped Ric Ocasek immensely, this was probably one of the best releases of 1997. YOU NEED TO HEAR THIS ALBUM.
As Homer said once, yeah yeah I'll get right on it...

Next time I'll look at rest of page 11 and 12, and also for certain pt.2 of NWOBHM finally.[/QUOTE]