Music Banter - View Single Post - Hypothetical Situation
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2012, 10:53 PM   #11 (permalink)
Stephen
I sleep in your hat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
Would any label hypothetically allow a pop artist to release something so controversial?
Just reading the Wiki about Loveless I'd say maybe if Bruno was pumping a lot of his own money into it.

Quote:
Loveless was recorded over a two-year period between 1989 and 1991 in nineteen recording studios... A large number of engineers were hired and fired during the process... The recording of Loveless is rumoured to have cost £250,000, a figure that came close to bankrupting the band's record label Creation Records.

My Bloody Valentine's relationship with Creation Records deteriorated during the album's recording, and the band was removed from the label after the record's release due to the difficulty and expense of working with Shields.
I know that's probably missing the point of the hypothetical? I guess we're supposed to assume the album made it through production and has been released to the waiting legion of fans. I'm thinking he would most likely lose a lot of his fans. I don't know much about Bruno Mars but listening to Doo-Wops it sounds mostly pretty disposable so I kind of doubt the cross over would go down too well.
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote