Music Banter - View Single Post - who invented punk
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2012, 09:46 PM   #239 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psy-Fi View Post
Link Wray!
Link Wray: on wiki Link Wray is credited with fathering Punk, also The Dictators and Blue Cheer and (I'm sure) a few other bands too (that I didn't mention) are also mentioned with their part in the formation of Punk.

Quote:
Link Wray and his Ray Men, which pioneered an overdriven, distorted electric guitar sound. He also "invented the power chord, the major modus operandi of modern rock guitarist,"[1] "and in doing so fathering," or making possible, "punk and heavy rock"
The Dictators
Quote:
The Dictators are represented in the "Punk Wing" of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, in Cleveland, Ohio. Steven Van Zandt called them "The connective tissue between the eras of The MC5, Stooges, NY Dolls, and the punk explosion of the mid to late 1970s".
Blue Cheer
Quote:
Blue Cheer played in a psychedelic blues-rock style, and is also credited as being pioneers of heavy metal (their cover of "Summertime Blues" is sometimes cited as the first in the genre[4]), punk rock,[3] stoner rock,[2][5] doom metal,[5][6] experimental rock,[7] and grunge.

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards

Last edited by Neapolitan; 04-02-2012 at 09:54 PM.
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote