Music Banter - View Single Post - The Strokes: Is This It- 2001
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2012, 02:47 PM   #12 (permalink)
Greg_RacialHostility
Groupie

Default Is This It

I adore the Strokes. And this album is flawless. I love every single track and know every single word on this album. I'd say if you asked me to play any song from Is This It I could too. And I don't even think its because they're my favourite band, but I think its more to do with the fact that every song just sits with you. This album was (and still is) revolutionary. Every one of the 11 songs (12 if you were to include When it Started) would have done well as a single. The structure to the songs is done to perfection. They didn't just throw a solo in for the sake of it, or anything of that nature. They mastered it with this record. And with a lot of bands on their first record a couple of songs can sound very similar, but with this album no two tracks are of the same style. There the 'chilled' aspect with the track Is This It, then the intensity of Take it or Leave it, the party anthem Last Nite, and so on. When you have someone who is as musically gifted as Julian Casablancas, a guitarist as talented as Nick Valensi, or someone with such a distinct style as Albert Hammond, Jr, you know you're in for a treat. And this album exceeded expectations. The bass lines are catchy and fit perfectly in with the rawness of the guitars. And Moretti's drumming can't be overlooked either. The points where he plays somewhat in sync with Albert's guitar is some of the best drumming I've ever heard. It is the best album of all time IMO.
Greg_RacialHostility is offline   Reply With Quote