Music Banter - View Single Post - Bob Dylan Vs Neil Young
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2012, 11:55 PM   #99 (permalink)
ribbons
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastingas10 View Post
Bob was a pretty damn good finger picker. Listen to him play a song called "I was young when I left home". I believe it's on the "no direction home" soundtrack. The finger picking on that song is pretty damn good. And when you consider he's singing at the same time, it's no easy task.

When it comes to his lead guitar playing, it's very simple but he could do it. There are some studio outtakes where you can hear some of his lead guitar playing. for example, his electric version of "house of the rising sun" with The Band. He also does just about all of the lead guitar playing on his MTV unplugged album. And of course there's his little solo intro in "leopard skin pill-box hat".
He was always a much better player than he was given credit for, including on piano. His piano style is idiosyncratic: a fellow musician remarked that Dylan would usually begin playing at opposite ends of the keyboard, with his hands ultimately meeting in the middle.

I think Dylan is the superior artist, but I find myself listening to Young more often. Young's music is more emotionally moving to me.
ribbons is offline   Reply With Quote