Music Banter - View Single Post - Music Theory - Ask anything to receive answers
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2012, 06:12 PM   #71 (permalink)
Rubato
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastingas10 View Post
I posted this in my "dilemma" thread but I haven't got a response. By the way, if you really want to give some advice I'd suggest you look into "my guitar dilemma" thread more often.

So here it is:

So, I thought I had a fair idea of how to tell what key a certain progression is in. If it starts and ends on the same chord then it is In the key of that chord. Or whichever chord gives that feeling of resolving the progression (which is always gonna be the last chord) is the chord that tells you the key. Am I right?

Well I've got a new problem on my hand. Let's say you have practically two different progressions in the same song - a different progression for the chorus and verses, for example - how do you tell what the key of the entire song is?

Let's say the verse progression is: Am/G/D/C. So this progression would be in the key of C because the progression resolves on C?

Now let's say the progression for chorus is: C/Am/F/D. This progression is in the key of D?

Keep in mind that those progressions are part of the same song. How do I tell what the key of the whole song is when both progressions are in a different key? I'm sure I'm wrong somewhere along the lines, but as of now, I'm confused.

I guess I could solo in the key of C for the verses and then in the key of D for the chorus.

Edit: I've been working with the first progression. The one that goes Am/G/D/C. I've been soloing over it using a mixture of the "A" minor blues scale and dorian mode and it sounds good. That brings me to another question, if the progression is in the key of "c", why does a scale in the key of "a" sound good? I've also been using the "c" major pentatonic and that sounds good as well. I've even mixed the "c" major pentatonic and the "a" minor pentatonic and it doesn't sound bad. Why is this? Isn't it wrong to mix a scale in the key of "c" with a scale in the key of "a"? And isn't it wrong to play a "a" Minor scale over a progression in the key of "c" major? Maybe that progression isn't even in "c" major, maybe I'm mistaken. I'm hoping you can put some clarity on this for me.
Am/G/D/C
C/Am/F/D

Both of those are easily in the key of G, the ♭VII taken from the parallel minor. Interpreting the first progression as belonging to C would be weak as the F♮ doesn't occur, so the sub-dominant region becomes very slack, not only that but the secondary dominant on II overemphasizes the dominant region. The notes from the C major Pentatonic and the A minor pentatonic scale lacks both the F♮ and B♮, so it can easily fit into keys located on the Tonic, dominant and sub-dominant regions (C,G and F).
Rubato is offline   Reply With Quote