Music Banter - View Single Post - 100 Artists I Love or Hate
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2012, 01:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Key

#100: Dream Theater

• James LaBrie is an incredible vocalist, and sure, he has his off moments, but he's got range which is very important for a vocalist to have.
  • Though some people are pretty disappointed with the lack of Portnoy on the drums, I think it did the band some good to get a new (more talented) drummer. Mangini fits the part well.
  • Though some of their releases lack in talent compared to the rest, there are very VERY few albums that I dislike from this band, mostly the pre-LaBrie releases.
  • The band itself is full of great musicians. That's evident on it's own.
  • Though some would disagree, Dream Theater are NOT a prog band. They are hard rock with some progressive elements.

The Live at Budokan DVD on it's own is fantastic, but this particular song takes the cake, especially with Petrucci's solo:

And this song is great as well, I love the Images and Words release. I would easily rank this song as one of my top 5 favorite Dream Theater songs of all time:

Than you've got the new release, which still continues to get some mixed opinions, I personally thought it was great, especially with the closing track:

Key is offline   Reply With Quote