Music Banter - View Single Post - Rick Santorum to drop out of the presidential campaign
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2012, 05:37 PM   #37 (permalink)
TheBig3
killedmyraindog

Quote:
Originally Posted by These guys View Post
Think about what you're actually saying. Do you honestly believe it was anyone's intention to celebrate the illness of a little girl?
No of course not. But perception is reality whether anyone wants to admit that or not.

The fact is/was people were giddy about him dropping out. Thats fine, but you need to recognize that he's dropping out because his child is sick. So he's making a decision to stop pursuing political office, he doesn't want to stop pursuing political office, he wants to keep running against a man who he believes is fraudulent. But he cannot because he values his daughter’s health more than winning office. And in that decision, people are finding elation.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter what I think. MB has always been about "winning" which is why 4 or 5 posters keep coming back here, but you need to realize that there are real issues out there, and if you had to stop defending gay rights because of a medical issue, and someone celebrated that, I'd have said the same thing to them.

Beyond this point, I think its civically ignorant to celebrate like you are. So to be fair, I was bias walking in. I think its unintelligent from a political position to take the position many here have. It basically says you have a stunted understanding about many of the political machinations in the primary process. So yeah, I'm pissed that so many stupid opinions are being celebrated. But theres still a core problem here that people aren't recognizing. I don't know how I can say it to make you understand beyond using an example you're sympathetic to so...

When the religious right celebrated Christopher Hitchens death as "punishment" I was equally appalled. Because its not that a political argument is silenced, its that one is silenced - not because it was squashed with reason - but because of a tragedy.

To fail to recognize the tragedy says you lack a basic empathy for other people. In this particular example, I can't take anyone seriously who fights human rights when they can arrogantly ignore human suffering.