Music Banter - View Single Post - Asia - Classic Prog Supergroup
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2012, 06:32 PM   #28 (permalink)
Screen13
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by milano View Post
I feel like the whole album is just about "the one he loved" and it's ok if one song is like that, but every damn song? Really?
I would have to take a listen to Side One again, but I think there was an instrumental at the end of that.

From what I understand, Love Beach was both a contract filler and an attempt to go Stadium Rock. It was seriously getting to the point when bands like Genesis were crossing over to the Mainstream, and that Rock in general (especially in the US) was already moving there due to business decisions. so it was possibly made with that kind of goal in mind. Hence all of those songs about "the one he loved," meaning "ELP have been neutered for your programming pleasure." A financially disastrous tour with an orchestra that had to be just ELP for a number of dates (Reading the Mojo Prog issue) in my opinion was also a possible extra incentive to go the safe route. After some time away from the music world, two Works collections that saw diminishing returns which saw #2 go Cut-Out in the US with ease, and the 1977 (?) tour were possibly some major signs to change, but it was like a Late 20-something trying to fit into the Jeans of their Teen years.

The song that cracks me up is "Taste of My Love" where almost every Non-PC Rock and Roll Backstage Fantasy Cliche was thrown in, as if that was going to get the FM Radio programmers in the US playing the album. I don't mind those songs, but coming from the usually literate ELP with Pete Sinfield writing the words, that screamed of Last Ditch Attempt.

It had to take a break to get them all to cross over in one way or another. Fans knew that Love Beach was half-hearted, even the suite on Side Two.

On the original pressings, it also should be noted that there was no Producer listed. If that was not a major hint, nothing was.

Kind of makes you wonder if there were already Cut Out pressings made during the second week of its release. Certainly not, but that album gave that kind of feeling. From my experience, it's rare to see a US pressing that does not have that "cut" on the cover.

Last edited by Screen13; 04-11-2012 at 06:40 PM.
Screen13 is offline   Reply With Quote