Music Banter - View Single Post - Bob Dylan Vs Neil Young
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2012, 02:54 AM   #113 (permalink)
blastingas10
Music Addict

I think rhythm guitar playing gets too overlooked and people put too much value on some loud, single-note lead guitar. Theyre both good, I just think the latter is overrated a little. There are plenty of chord shapes, progressions and picking patterns that are more difficult than some single-note lead. And I can think of some Dylan fingerpicking that is more difficult than some of youngs lead guitar work. I'm not trying to knock young, I'm a huge dan and he was a good guitarist, I just think he gets too much credit as a guitarist when he's compared to Dylan and Dylan doesn't get enough credit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard the Duck View Post
no he didn't

but his solo in "Leopard Skin Pillbox Hat" is pretty killer
Yes it is. There's a bootleg recording from "planet waves", I believe, of Dylan and The Band playing "house of the rising sun". Dylan does a nice little solo in it. He also does a lot of lead guitar on his unplugged album, which would probably sound a lot cooler if he had the volume and distortion cranked up.

But still, young could play the hell out of a guitar and I love the way he moves and jams while he's playing. The man has got soul. They just have different styles when it come down to it.

Last edited by blastingas10; 04-12-2012 at 03:02 AM.
blastingas10 is offline   Reply With Quote