Music Banter - View Single Post - The Saturday 6-Pack
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2012, 01:34 PM   #5017 (permalink)
Burning Down
The Music Guru.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoathsomePete View Post
West Coast is definitely different, I'm not sure how well an Easterner would like it out here. Everyone I know who lived in Ontario or further East, and wound up in Vancouver always went back, and everyone who lived in the West and went East never wants to come back.

I personally and looking at Toronto because of the history in the city, which is something Vancouver sorely lacks. Everything is brand new that it makes the city seem almost sterile, like it was grown in a test tube, and the areas of the city that do carry historical significance are in the worst neighbourhoods in the entire country, so there's not much reason to go and visit.

As for why people hate Torontonians, I think it's largely an inferiority complex. Toronto really is the center of the country and therefore people from other places will always feel left out or unappreciated. This is a pretty common thing in B.C., where some people feel like they're not even apart of the country because of our minimal involvement in national politics, but I mean you have to rule by consensus and more people live in Ontario and Quebec than in B.C. and Alberta. I've personally never understood these weird feuding between the cities, seems rather childish, I mean isn't that why we have hockey teams?
That's interesting. My aunt is from Montreal originally, and has been living out West for over 25 years now. She's lived in several places over the years - Squamish, Abbotsford, Kelowna (and some other parts of the Okanagan Valley), Prince Rupert, and then she moved to Tacoma, WA but now she lives in Seattle. She has only been back this way once and that was last year for a funeral.

Yes, Toronto has a lot of old buildings and a extensive history. Of course, it is also much older than a city like Vancouver. The city passed a law that says contractors are not allowed to tear down old buildings, instead they are allowed to build around them but they need to maintain the original integrity of the building. However, west of Toronto, in Hamilton (which is just as old if not older, and where I spend most of my time now) old buildings are being torn down to make room for condos and offices, which is an absolute shame because much of the city's rich history is disappearing. They even tore down the old city hall which was (I think) about 150 or 175 years old to build a newer one that is uglier. Hamilton is slowly becoming the "sterile city" that you say Vancouver is. But it's only 40 minutes from Toronto so if people want to see the old buildings they just take a drive
Burning Down is offline   Reply With Quote