Music Banter - View Single Post - Is a Computer an Instrument?
View Single Post
Old 04-13-2012, 09:38 PM   #178 (permalink)
ThePhanastasio
Killed Laura Palmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourFlyIsOpen View Post
A computer is an instrument in the very same way it is (or rather HAS BECOME) the television, your newspaper, video game, cinema, jokebook and personal diary. The answer does not lie in the realm of music, it lies in the intellect of the musician.
While I'd not ever say that a diary, televison, newspaper, or computer is an instrument per say, I'd have to agree with you on a few points.

Firstly, I'd highly doubt that something considered predominately archaic, e.g. a newspaper, would actually be considered an instrument. I've majored in print journalism (along with theatre) but it's not especially instrumentally sound.

When one is writing, that's one thing.

When one is producing media, that's another.

As a person who has produced video, audio, musical, visual, and theatrical footage over the course of my life, I'd have to say that this is kind of weird.

The vast majority of people I've known can produce perhaps one, two types of enjoyment. These types of entertainment are disctinct.

Ultimately, I'd have to say that all are different...although I'd definitely venture that computer production falls under music.

It's a hand-me-down, the thoughts are broken
Perhaps they're better left unsung
ThePhanastasio is offline   Reply With Quote