Music Banter - View Single Post - My guitar dilemma.
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2012, 07:52 AM   #31 (permalink)
mr dave
nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarBizarre View Post
2 - Practice with some form of beat, not necessarily a metronome but a beat, and make sure that before you try and play something quickly, you can play it EASILY at a lower tempo. THe number one mistake "fast" guitarists make is forcing themselves to play fast. If you can play something fast, you should be able to play the same thing at ANY tempo below that and have it feel fluid and easy. Otherwise the only way to be fast will end up being to force yourself, which is the problem with point #1.
This reminds me of an old lesson Dimebag Darrell published in Guitar World back in the day in regards to playing slower tunes with Pantera. Same principle, opposing target.

The number 1 mistake most metal guitarist make is thinking the song needs to be played super fast otherwise it sounds weak and wussy. It's actually easier for a band to play super fast because most people top out around the same speed and it's relatively easier to cover up slip ups when you're a blur. Practicing intricate parts at a slower tempo is what made them realize that those type of dynamic shifts could really increase the overall 'heaviness' of a tune.

But again, it all boils down to practice (with some sort of static beat to really build up your rhythmic timing).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote