Music Banter - View Single Post - Size Rise
Thread: Size Rise
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2012, 08:50 AM   #193 (permalink)
The Fascinating Turnip
Moper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
There has to be a more progressive way to encourage leading a healthy lifestyle than verbally abusing people.
There you go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by These guys View Post
I didnt mean medical condition as in it's caused by genetics. Being obese is a medical condition, however, no matter what the cause is. In the United States, there seems to b a direct link between poverty, or general low income households, and obesity. Fattening, processed foods are what's cheapest in this country. I have some relatives who are quite overweight and I can quite plainly see that it's because they've been raised on cheap, processed foods.

Do you know any overweight or obese people? If so, I think you should let them in on your "you need to actively try to be overweight." theory. That should be fun

For women, another factor to be considered is giving birth. It can be difficult to lose that extra girth after having children. My mother raised three kids in a lower income, hectic environment. She's now in her 40s and is struggling to lose weight even with proper dieting and daily exercise.
Exactly. My mother barely eats anything other than rather healthy "home made" salads and soups and exercises every single day and she can barely lose any weight. She's only very slightly overweight, if at all, but the fact is that she would probably have to apply a much greater deal of effort than is demandable by anyone to lose weight, and I imagine that this is the case of a lot of people who are obese. I see a lot of people who are thin and basically live off of fast food and don't exercise that openly judge "fat" people, and I find that absolutely ridiculous.

The poverty issue was quite well pointed out as well. Processed foods are ultimately cheaper and people who have a low income tend to choose them over healthier and ultimately more expensive foods. Add to this the fact that a lot of people slave away all day (and not necessarily in such a way that involves physical effort) and might not have time to exercise, and you've got a quite decent explanation of why a few people are overweight. Does it make sense to judge these people? Only if you can put yourself in their shoes and say with absolute certainty that you would still eat properly and exercise often.
The Fascinating Turnip is offline   Reply With Quote