Music Banter - View Single Post - Albums You're Not Digging
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2012, 03:10 PM   #350 (permalink)
Key

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoathsomePete View Post

AnathemA - Weather Systems (2012)

My first real disappointment of the year (I don't count Busdriver's latest album because I expected it to suck). It's beautifully crafted and melodic as a motherfucker but I'm 5 tracks in an I honestly cannot remember a detail of a single one of them.

edit: Okay track six, "The Storm Before the Calm" is pretty decent, but only because it sounds absolutely nothing like the 5 that came before it. I just want to say that this is by no means a bad album, I mean it's currently within the top 10 on RYM and will most likely stay within the top 25 by the end of the year. I'm also not one of the people who condemned the band's latter material because they moved away from their death/doom roots, in fact their 1999 album Judgement is my favourite followed closely by their 2003 album A Natural Disaster. However this one and We're Here Because We're Here (2010) have just not been able to hold my attention, much like the last Katatonia album, with each song kind of blending into one and other and becoming indistinguishable. If you're a fan of the band or of bands like Porcupine Tree, Pineapple Thief, or OSI I would definitely give this one a recommendation, but I personally have felt a little let down so far.
I'll have to give this a listen. I love their other work. Hopefully it'll come off as decent for me.
Key is offline   Reply With Quote