Music Banter - View Single Post - ASAP Rocky
Thread: ASAP Rocky
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2012, 09:07 PM   #27 (permalink)
Metal Connoisseur
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surell View Post
Sure, he's easy to listen to; Kid Cudi is too. There isn't much Stoner rap that's hard to like; Domo Genesis isn't the best rapper, but he's sure has hell mellow and fun.

He doesn't have an original idea in his mind either, except to take all these successful Stoner/Gangsta/Indie rap archetypes and cash in on them. At least OF were trying something fairly different; the roots can be traced back, but they only serve as foundation, not the entire package. Plus, OF was never made for easy listening in any sense.

Besides, I don't see what his obscure life choices (likely made to establish a name for himself as an oddball) have to do with his actually rapping ability. The fact that he reps NY and does southern Hip Hop and then is a vegetarian is all just a part of an image that's memorable but gimmicky to me.
He just has an incredible ear for beats. As long as his sound revolves around spaced out, trippy, "based", chopped & screwed beats I think he's golden. His unoriginality as a lyricist is more than compensated by his outstanding beats and competent flow. He's just got one of those voices I could listen to all day, like a Freddie Gibbs.