Music Banter - View Single Post - The Indie & Alternative Recommendation Thread
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2012, 03:00 PM   #352 (permalink)
TockTockTock
They/Them

Quote:
Originally Posted by milano View Post
You listened to the wrong album then. If you want to hear some of Elliott's better work, i'd suggest giving XO or From The Basement On The Hill a listen before making any harsh judgements.
Since that post, I've listened to his self-titled, XO, and Figure 8. Decent albums, but nothing mind-blowing or spectacular. So, as far as living up to the hype that they receive... I'm still disappointed.

His music might grow on me, though. It's unlikely, but it might...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyChispas View Post
I've never been able to get into Elliott Smith, either (except for Alameda). It's a shame, 'cause for some reason I really want to like him. But you could check out these songs:

The Shins - Pink Bullets
Mumford & Sons - Little Lion Man, The Cave, Timshel, White Blank Page
Fleet Foxes - He doesn't know why, Mykonos, Your Protector
Okkervil River - Lost Coastlines or Westfall
The Decemberists - The Enginer, O' Valencia, The Crane Wife 3, Yankee Bayonet (I Will Be Home Then)
The Tallest Man On Earth - The Gardener, Kids on the Run, Where Do My Bluebird Fly
Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros - Home, 40 Day Dream
Death Cab For Cutie - A Lack of Color

Edit: Sorry, I didn't realize you were asking for albums. That changes things, but the songs are still good.
Much appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard the Duck View Post
check out Guided by Voices' Alien Lanes, if any of you haven't yet

it's about 1,000 x better than their overrated "Bee 1,000"
How? They're both about as equally entertaining in my book, and there's nothing dramatically different between the two that warrants one being "1000x" better than the other.
TockTockTock is offline   Reply With Quote