Music Banter - View Single Post - New Guitar
Thread: New Guitar
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2012, 10:35 AM   #82 (permalink)
blastingas10
Music Addict

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr dave View Post
A Martin is a worthwhile investment and I've never known anyone to regret it. They only get better with age.

The other big name I hear a lot for acoustics is Taylor.

As GB said, go down to the shop, especially if you're looking at a budget that could afford a Martin.

I was also going to mention Godin guitars but their acoustic sub-division is actually Seagull...

One last thing, if you're concerned with getting something and then finding out a month later you think the tone sucks why not just rent it for a month? It's a little more expensive but it would make it easier to really find something you like.

This is worth addressing because in cars terms it's like saying "I'm leaning towards a pickup truck, the only reason I question it is because I've always wanted a convertible".

You're trying to lean over a pretty big gap with this situation.

Essentially the Strat is a workhorse and personally I think every guitar aficionado should at least own one or a good clone. However if you're not at that stage yet then you need to make a choice and ultimately it only needs to satisfy you.

The main difference besides the obvious brightness of the tone is that hollowed guitars create more feedback than a solid body, and in some cases A LOT more feedback.

What do you currently have for a guitar? Is a Strat really that different? Are you looking to change your overall tone or just refine it? Do you plan on amassing an eventual collection or just perpetually trading upward?

If anything I'd recommend the rental deal again, especially where you're considering two distinct beasts like these.
Thanks for addressing my comment with such detail. I curretly have a solid body laguna, which Is one reason im startin to lean towards the hollow body. I want something different. I have a friend who has a epiphone dot, he runs it through a Marshall that has two 10 or 12 inch speakers in it. He plays some heavy stuff. I've never heard any feedback issues when he was playing, and my amp isn't even as loud as his so I'm not really worried about feedback issues, i think it'll be fine.

Another thing to consider is that my girlfriend is wanting to buy it for me for me birthday and the strat is a little more expensive, so I almost don't even have a choice.
blastingas10 is offline   Reply With Quote