Music Banter - View Single Post - Free will
Thread: Free will
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2012, 02:10 PM   #51 (permalink)
Janszoon
Mate, Spawn & Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3 View Post
Oh man, "never said they did". I thought you were better than that. I know you didn't say it, but if you're going to say "well humans can do what rivers do" you really need to explain away the fact that rivers aren't sentient and people are.

Saying we don't have control over ourselves, but no one else does either - then using a river to explain how that would happen is not a good argument. Then again i guess you never said it was a good one.
If you think I was trying to say "humans can do what rivers do" then you missed my point. I'll try to state it more literally for you: The decisions we make are the result of our brains interacting with the world around us. Our brains, in any given moment, are wired a certain way as a result of genetics, experience, etc., and it may well be that all our decisions are kind of inevitable because of that. What appears to be free will to us might simply be an illusion created by how incredibly complex the interaction is.

Incidentally, I never said or implied that "we don't have control over ourselves, but no one else does either", I simply asked you why you were making the assumptions that you were making.
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote