Music Banter - View Single Post - What are you reading right now?
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2012, 08:11 PM   #4028 (permalink)
LoathsomePete
Cardboard Box Realtor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonsubmissivewife View Post
Blasphemy!!

Ok, not that bad, but really? As a whole?
A few of his books can stand on their own, but as a whole I think his writing is the very kind that's designed to be read once while you're in between books and then dropped off at a used bookstore. Go to any used bookstore in your city and count how many Stephen King books infest the shelves of the horror section, hell one of the ones where I live has actually set aside their own shelf that's just dedicated to his material. If they weren't, then why would people be so intent on getting rid of them?

I don't hate his works, in fact The Long Walk was one of the first books that really got me into psychological horror and his books can at least be relied upon to provide entertainment, but it's a fleeting kind for me. The Myst, The Long Walk, Desperation, and Misery have all managed to stay with me after reading them, but a lot of his other novels haven't. It would be foolish to say he has not had a major impact on the horror genre, he has, its just not a genre defying one that H.P. Lovecraft had
LoathsomePete is offline   Reply With Quote