Music Banter - View Single Post - King Crimson vs Yes
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2012, 09:14 AM   #3 (permalink)
Unknown Soldier
Horribly Creative

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanDerGraaf View Post
Not a poll, just trying to define the divide between the two greatest and most stylistically opposing bands in progressive music. thoughts? comments?

Bill Bruford described leaving Yes to join King Crimson as "going over the Berlin Wall into East Germany". To a listener like me that sounds just as true as it is epic.
One of the better versus threads and I'm surprised that these two haven't gone head to head before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cLoCkWeRk View Post
King Crimson is one of the best bands in the universe, nobody else sounds like them. King Crimson is more technical where as Yes has some types of mainstream sounding music. If you factor in the live albums that king crimson offers Yes doesnt even compete. Although Yes is fantastic King Crimson is the better band. I own every King Crimson album including live shows and bootlegs and I could listen to them over and over. After you listened to the King Crimson albums you could venture into the Robert Fripp solo albums, the Adrian Belew solo albums, the Tony Levin solo albums and Bill Bruford's solo albums.
Basically you're being over biased towards King Crimson here. Yes may have put out some mainstream material on albums such as 90125 and some songs off the Yes Album etc and these songs could be radio friendly but they were hardly mainstream and describing KC as being more technical than Yes is really like discussing which shade of black is darker. Again I'm guessing when it comes to live albums you haven't heard Yessongs one of the best live albums of the 1970s.
If you can't deal with the fact that there are 6+ billion people in the world and none of them think exactly the same that's not my problem. Just deal with it yourself or make actual conversation. This isn't a court and I'm not some poet or prophet that needs everything I say to be analytically critiqued.
Metal Wars

Power Metal

Pounding Decibels- A Hard and Heavy History
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote