Music Banter - View Single Post - King Crimson vs Yes
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2012, 10:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
VanDerGraaf
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
I heard Bill Bruford wanted to join King Crimson because he thought it would be more popular band. Yes is Chris Squier's band - it can only be called a Yes album if he appears on it. It's a revolving door with band members, Chris thought it kept the band always sounding fresh. But from pov where I have a definite favourite line-up it limits the albums by that line-up. I'm more of Steve Howe & Bill Bruford fan.

Bill's genius is his subtly, he can do more with Jazz inspired odd timing or a well placed drum roll than most Rock drummers can going ape-**** on 16 piece drum kit.

Steve is true musician he's a well versed guitar player and one can hear in his playing his influences - Wes, Les, Chet, and Hank. He is also a versatile multi-instrumentalist. Almost every Prog rock guitar players explored the guitar beyond the typical Blues style of playing, each taking the guitar into different directions. Steve Howe is probably the most traditional guitar player in Prog. in the fact that he incorporates Jazz, Folk early Rock and Roll styles of playing.
king crimson is robert fripps band, i dont know what you mean by that first part.

theres a king crimson song without any percussion where bill bruford is given writing credit, because fripp felt not adding drums was the most important part of the songs feel, cant remember the title at the moment.

also clap and mood for a day are two of the most impressive pieces of guitar work ive ever heard. i find good fingerpicking far more impressive than anything done with a single pick. ive been playing guitar for about 10 years and never play with a pick, i have alot of fun mocking my metalhead friends when they go on about sweep picking
VanDerGraaf is offline   Reply With Quote